The Ladder: A Lesbian Review is generally thought to be the nation's first widely distributed lesbian publication, and was first published in 1956 by the revolutionary Daughters of Billitis, according to The Washington Blade.
And now, the first issue of the magazine is on display at the Smithsonian Institution's American History Museum in Washington, D.C. The original issue is on display as part of the museum's American Stories exhibits.
Legendary activists Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin started the publication, later bringing on fellow LGBT rights pioneer Barbara Gittings.
The Ladder appears at the Smithsonian courtesy of the late LGBT rights pioneer Frank Kameny, who owned an impressive collection of papers and political artifacts, including protest signs and publications, documenting his decades-long participation in the LGBT equality movement.