2016 was a rough year where no relationship was safe from its wrath. Whether it wreaked havoc on a specific relationship or your love life as a whole, we’re all here, we’re all queer, and we’re all single AF.
But don’t fret, because although you couldn’t see it last year, being single in 2017 is not as bad, lonely, and/or self-deprecating as it sounds. Here are 18 reasons why being single in 2017 is actually the best.
1. For starters, everyone is single...
2. So the dating pool is fuller than ever thanks to 2016 break-ups.
3. Your resolution to travel more will be much more easily achieved without a partner weighing you down.
4. Same for that resolution to get fit.
5. You'll have more time to focus on the people that truly matter in your life, like your family and friends.
6. You'll have no more distractions at work.
7. Love karma is alive in 2017, and for all that 2016 shit you had to deal with comes 2017 greatness.
8. According to the Chinese calendar, it's the year of the Rooster which means it’s a year chalk full of loyalty and trust.
9. Thanks to 2016, you've exhausted all of your emotions, which will allow you to think clearer when approaching a potential significant other.
10. You'll finally be able to start saving a little bit of cash...
11. And become the homebody you've always wanted to be.
12. There's no one to impress.
13. Trump's compliance to leave marriage equality alone gives us a glimmer of hope for our romantic future.
14. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are both up for grabs.
15. You'll have copious amounts of uninterrupted sleep.
16. You can binge-watch whatever the f*ck you want, whenever the f*ck you want.
17. In the Bible, the number 17 means "overcoming the enemy" and "complete victory" (the enemy clearly being 2016 and the victory is interpreted to your discretion).
18. YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU! Find yourself, dictate your own emotions, succeed personally then succeed romantically.