Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, commonly referred to as PrEP, is the HIV-prevention regimen you’ve undoubtedly heard about from your friends, from the internet, or from your friendly neighborhood Grindr hook-up. And Truvada is the first FDA-approved prescription drug that can be taken as PrEP. If you have yet to hear exactly why you and PrEP should be BFFs, then we've got you covered.
Here are 11 amazing reasons you should 100% be on PrEP.
1. Because we’ve all had those uh-oh unprotected moments...
2. It’s comforting to know there's an effective way to protect yourself from HIV
3. Because it may be the easiest thing to do in the world; just one pill, once a day
4. Because HIV is a very real, very prevalent virus in our community
5. And PrEp is up to 99% effective against the risk of infection
6. It alleviates some of the fear you may have from your sex life
7. The side effects are minimal to none
8. Because maybe one day, you may fall in love with someone HIV-positive or undetectable
9. Because while on PrEP, you’re on a regular STD testing schedule
10. Because we want to be the generation that brings down the annual HIV-infected number to ZERO
11. Oh yeah, and it's covered with most health insurances (and Gilead, the drug manufacturer who makes Truvada, offers a payment assistance program that can help drive down the cost of the medication regardless of your income)