Roger from American Dad! is an icon of a character.
In the simplest terms, he's like a nastier, alien version of Karen Walker. He has little to no sympathy for anyone else in existence and dominantly does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He'll slap a kid and steal their bike if that's what he needs to do to get from point A to point B.
Ridiculousness aside, Roger's humor speaks powerfully to the sassy, merciless diva that some of us house deep within (or wear shamelessly into the world) and one of the reasons we love him so much is because it's nice to laugh about something mean that doesn't actually hurt someone from time to time. While he may not be as iconic as Stewie from Family Guy (for reasons I don't quite understand), Roger is far from unpopular or unknown. If you don't know him, get to know him. (And before you ask, YES, American Dad! is available to stream on Hulu.)
Here are 13 ways Roger Smith totally understood who we are, and what we're all about.
1. He is multi-talented and works many hard jobs. Who doesn't love a hard worker?
2. He struggles with his body image/weight (or in this case, other people do).
3. He's still trying to figure out how to flirt without being too much. It's a work in progress.
4. He does some really weird stuff in the bathroom. Don't judge.
5. He doesn't mind being sexy, but that doesn't mean he lets anyone do whatever they want with him. He sets and upholds firm boundaries.
6. Housework, yard work, and chores of any kind make him really, really ill. We've all been there, albeit probably without the projectile vomiting.
7. He delivers one heck of a slap, better even than the most long-running daytime TV soap operas. Who among us hasn't wanted to catch someone really good across the face?
8. He's got a love/hate relationship with the mirror (mostly hate, though).
9. He always gets the last word and delivers the harshest blow. If you're gonna go, go all the way! Although, maybe don't call people whores...
10. He loves his snacks!
11. He's honest. Like extraordinarily, mercilessly honest, to the point where you or someone else's feelings are probably going to get hurt.
12. He loves to dress up and play as other characters, but don't we all put on masks and play a role for the world? (Cue the severe eye rolls.)
13. And last but (most certainly) not least, Roger is REALLY into men. I mean, REALLY into men.